2014年1月29日 星期三

Study in Sweden


It's would be fair that half of my blog's articles  is written in English. I have tried to written it in BOTH languages, but it takes so much energy...

  

So the course I take so far are: The Life and Times of  the Dinosaurs, Climate Change and Faunistics, Vertebrates. At this moment, I have taken the first class of them all. Well, I would like to say, it is not easy for me, and I do think language is the barrier. Sometimes, I couldn't really get the point! This is depressing, to admit.

 

Last weekend, I took course of Dinosaurs. This is a fun course, and I also met some great guys here! One is from America, the others are all Swedish. By the way, I found it is much easier for me to listen to American English. I guess it is because of the accent. It is a course that always takes in weekend, both morning and afternoon. Yet, the good news is there is only six days of the course. And the course goes in this way: one hour lecture, and one hour movie. Though it is not alwasys like this, in most case it is. The teacher is very nice! I asked the teacher is there any suggested reading for the life before dinosaurs.( He brought over 10 books to the class, but they are all for dinosaurs, and the course that day is about before dinosaurs.), and I also said that I could not understand every none in English.  The next day, he not only gave us the suggested reading list, he also gave the hand outs, even in Chinese! It really is a blessing to have a teacher like this.

 

The next course is about Climate Change. Every lecture, there is a certain speaker. Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the lecture. In this case, I guess it is because sometimes I don’t know what was going on. I cannot perfectly know what he was talking about. It is not like taking Forest Climate, taught by our dearest Japanese teacher. His Powerpoint are cristal clear. So sometimes you could get what he meant by looking what he pointed, and listen to the key words. But those speakers seldom did the same. They would give you a chart or a diagram, and then interpreted it. In case of Forest Climate, the teacher would also wrote down the conclusion. But here, they won't. So if I don't hear it clearly, and I cannot interpret the diagram, I would be totally confused. Although, I have questioned the way we learned Forest Climate, just in my mind. Was it too straight forward that we turned out to memorize the consequence too soon? It included critical thinking, of course. But there was someone experienced guiding you. And in the class I am taking now, I can not see it clearly. The good news is we have a project to finish for each topic, and it is a group project. So, I can get help from discussion, and it's much more interesting. (One of the reasons that the course is not that appealing maybe, by saing climate change, we couldn't see hope in the future. Maybe there is, but just haven't been found. I should not be too depressing. )

 

The last course I chose is Vertebrates. OK, actually, I think this probably will be what I spend most of my time on. Simply because recognizing species takes me time! And today, I had course about amphibians and reptiles. This time, I was even more depressed. Because, I really don't know the certain English  names on the body part of those things, and their distribution through Sweden. (It would be nearly new even if I learn it in Chinese.) It felt awkward. But it is a usually thing for me to do: get back from this emotion. It will be hard. But it is not a problem that can not be dealt. It is part of the learning. Just keep working hard.

 

And for another course planning to take is Swedish. But I am seriously thinking it now. Because after I changed the course to Climate Change, my credits are over the reques. Probably, I will not take it.

The last thing, I think students here focus on study. On the first day of the semester, they started group study. This is the second week of semester. Every time I walked around in certain Department, many people were studing and having discussions. But they don't seem to use the library to study that much. It might  because the library's opening hours is short. Tomorrow, I plan to go to department to study too. The atmosphere is better than staying in my confertable room, and they speak Swedich, so I won't be bothered. XD
 

沒有留言:

張貼留言